Saturday 8 November 2014

BOLIVIA -PASTRY LINKED TO CULTURE

Carb overload - but it had to be done ! Whilst waiting in Tupiza for the 4x4 jeep journey I made my way to the small market just down the road from where I was staying. As it was Day of the dead weekend  - Todos Santos ( 31st Oct -2 Nov ) stalls were filled with wreaths made of plastic and so many different pastries !
So my conclusion is that certain pastries are linked to certain celebrations and time of the year . This time of the year the most famous is the Tantawawas - meaning Breadbaby - these are baked as an essential element of the spirit of the deceased. They are mainly baked in the shape of a baby and some are baked in the shape of a ladder - symbolising the ascension to heaven of a soul.
I also saw meringue babies ! Egg white coloured various garish colours to symbolise the deceased.

I tried a range of pastries - some were sweet , some not sweet at all  - my favourite ones being - two crispy cookies filled with strawberry jam and then rolled in coconut. Another favourite was soft meringue wedged together with dulce de leche - A caramel.

Passankallas is also everywhere - white puffed corn in various forms - due to the high altitude corn puffs beautifully ! 





No comments:

Post a Comment